Friday, October 8, 2010

The Click of the Heel



Will and I have recently been attending a Methodist church in Southside. One of the associate pastors is a female.  I often find myself wondering what it must have been like to answer the call of being a pastor.  She preached this past Sunday and it was the first time I had ever heard her.  Early church is held in the chapel which is small and has stony tile flooring.  As she was preaching my ear kept being drawn to the noise of her high heel.  It was the most foreign glorious sound I have heard in church in a really long time. I smiled to myself thinking I have never heard a high heel from the pulpit. Later when church was over I asked Will if he had noticed her high heel and he replied no. He hadn’t even noticed.  I found it so exciting to be a woman in that moment simply because it was a sound that I identify as uniquely feminine coming from a place that has been distinctly masculine.  I was filled with a sense of hope at the thought of there being more of a balanced voice in the church…both male and female.

No comments:

Post a Comment