Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Artist's Way Wednesday-Week 3

Chapter 3-Recovering a Sense of Power

This week she talks about such topics as: anger, synchronicity, shame, dealing with criticism, and growth.

Anger is fuel and it is meant to be listened to.  Anger is to be respected and it shows us where we want to go. Here is an example: "I could make a better film than that!" (This anger says: you want to make movies. You need to learn how.) (Cameron, p.61-61)

I don't know if I get to the point of anger but I sometimes find myself being jealous (which could be a form of anger) as I observe the artistic gifts of others.

Synchronicity is when our prayers or events (if you are not religious) line up for us to pursue the dream we have held on to for so long. Often when these events happen it can be fairly easy to dismiss them as chance.

This type of experience recently happen to me. I had finished reading this particular section and began to wonder if there was an opportunity that I wasn't seeing. A co-worker's name popped in my head. I knew that him and his fiancĂ©e were having a smaller wedding and I wondered if they needed a photographer. Well I went back and forth in my mind. I tried to talk myself out of it. I told myself "you don't have the right equipment." Then I realized this is an opportunity and I can take it or I can let it pass me by. So I asked him if he needed a photographer and he was ecstatic. I am glad this chance didn't get away.

There have been others times when I wasn't so confident and those opportunities did pass me by. It was because of my fear of being shamed. That fear of someone telling me I wasn't really an artist or my work is no good. I think it is this same fear that keeps us in the closet in regards to our creative exploration. It may be possible that we are terrified of what may come to the surface and peep its head into our art.

"Art brings things to light. It illuminates us. It sheds light on our lingering darkness.." Julia Cameron

This type of illumination can have affects on those around us especially our families. "Art opens the closets, airs out the cellars and attics. It brings healing." (Cameron, p.68)

The antidote for shame is self-love and self-praise. We cannot control all the criticism but we can sift through and find the useful criticism (non-shaming in tone).

"Growth is an erratic forward movement: two steps forward, one step back. Remember that and be very gentle with yourself." (Cameron, p.74)

Some of the Weekly Exercises
1. Describe or sketch your childhood room. What were your favorite things?
2.Describe 5 traits that you liked in yourself as a child.
3.List 5 childhood accomplishments and 5 favorite childhood foods.
4.Take a look at your habits. Some interfere with self-nurturing and cause shame. Do you have a habit of watching TV you don't even like? List three rotten habits that you have.
5. Make a list of friends that nurture you.

No comments:

Post a Comment