Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Chapter 9- Recovering a Sense of Passion

The blocked artist spends a lot of energy on self-hatred driven by anger and/or fear. Often Cameron mentions that we think in such broad strokes that we become defeated before we even have a chance to fail. We need to learn to take smaller more attainable steps. It seems to me that taking smaller steps is a way I can practice being kind to myself.

"Do not call the inability to start laziness. Call it fear."

"There is only one cure for fear. That cure is love."

"The need to be a great artist makes it hard to be an artist. The need to produce a great work of art makes it hard to produce any art at all."

We often sabotage ourselves because it is a lot safer to stay blocked than be a productive artist. Cameron calls these creative U-turns. "A successful creative career is always built on successful creative failures."

I often find myself stuck in fear because I am not sure what I am good at. Maybe that is just it...maybe I just need to start trying new things instead of assuming I need to get better at something I think I want to do. 

I had a  "Just Start"  moment this past weekend that I want to share with you later.

{Blog content was taken from Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way}

No comments:

Post a Comment