Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Homemade Marshmallows


Last week I introduced a new series called The Outer Isles. This is my first attempt at making something from the middle isles of the grocery store. I should add that all the things I make won't necessarily be any healthier, but homemade. When Will and I visited Knoxville for an interview we were looking for a coffee shop. We picked the one that advertised homemade marshmallows (easy choice). To our disappointment the owner hadn't made them in a while. I have thought about these marshmallows on and off for the last couple of months. How hard could they be? I am going to be honest it never occurred to me to make marshmallows I just assumed they were something factories invented. I thought it would be pretty labor intensive and not worth it. I mean how good could homemade marshmallows be? I was wrong. Like everything I have ever had homemade these were pretty magnificent.

Here are the ingredients and the recipe I used.


A little plain gelatin and water.
Lots of corn syrup and sugar.
Boiling of the sugars
Mixing
Pour into the pan.
Let it sit for 5 hours or until it gets firm.

Dump it out.
Cut away.
And serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment