Monday, December 6, 2010

Tradition 6- Happy St. Nicholas Day

St.Nicholas (Nikolaos of Myra, which is now Turkey) was a bishop who was known for giving secret gifts to those in need.  He is the model from which our Santa Clause came.  St. Nicolas Day is a European tradition where children leave their shoes or stockings out on the night of December 5th. When they wake their shoes have been filled by a secret gift giver. Some people use St. Nicholas Day as a reminder to do something nice for someone else without them knowing.
A childhood friend celebrated St. Nicholas Day when I was growing up and I always thought it was strange, but secretly wished I had candy in my shoes. I don't know that this will be a holiday we will adopt, but I do like how Santa is linked to a saint that helped the poor. It is a great why to explain Santa Claus to a child without it being all about commerical products.

I left Will a little prize, but it wasn't a secret because
we are the only two that live in our apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment