Monday, August 8, 2011

Our First Week


Let's be honest can we say cultural shock. The first day we were here I was like I don't know if I am going to like this place. I have begun to change my mind. We have been in Zambia for over a week now and we are slowly adjusting and getting used to all that is new and different. CIDRZ has done a great job of showing us around. We have been to several markets, restaurants, cultural villages, and, even the annual agricultural show.  We sat through various meetings and power points this week trying to get oriented to CIDRZ and its many departments. We have also had plenty of free time on our hands which has been nice for reading and napping.

The Dutch Reformed Market takes
place once a month.

The Tuesday Market is a local food market.
Everything is fresh. I loved the bags of
beans, spices, and rice.

Tuesday Market again

Kabwata Cultural Village. Tom taught
Will how to play a game.

Umozi drama performance which takes place
at Kanyama. They use dance and drama to
talk about TB and HIV.

This is in another area of Kanyama. I know it is a cliche
picture but it had to be done.

Nshima is a Zambian staple. It is similar
to grits so fortunately I am at home. You
roll the nshima in your hand and then
use it to scoop your food. 

Markets are everywhere. It seems to be
the way a lot of people make a living.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! so glad i get to see some pictures. I miss you and can not wait to catch up! i love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the update, Rachel. I am glad you are feeling more at home. Grits have a way of doing that. :) Much love.

    ReplyDelete